Monday, October 19, 2015

Upcoming Interviews

For this week I prepared my interview questions for my field research. It was hard for me to come up with questions that didn't come off as one sided or too invasive but I did a little research on typical questions people have regarding cochlear implants. Some of the questions were as follows:

1. Did you regret your decision?
2. Do you suffer from constant head aches? Are you in pain now?
3. How long was the recovery process?
4. Why didn't you just learn sign language and participate in the Deaf community?
5. Did the doctors' give you all of your options upfront?
6. Are you happy with the level of hearing you have now?
7. Did it really improve your hearing that much?
8. Do you feel like an outsider still in a hearing world?

These questions were great if you were asking an adult about their experiences but what about a child? One of my field research studies is about a young boy, Miller. His mother has been e-mailing with me.

 I have been talking a lot with Jessica (the mother of a young boy who has a cochlear implant). She is so excited to share her experiences and her son's with other people. I told her about my current knowledge and what I have learned so far about cochlear implants, I also explained to her that previous to all my research I was only exposed to one perspective on the topic... The Deaf community is something I cherish and their opinions mean the world to me but I have to admit that I am slightly biased when it comes to the topic of cochlear implants.

I told Jessica that I am hoping after interviewing her and learning about her experiences along with her son's that I will be able to have an open mind about cochlear implants and maybe even realize that there is a community that exists for children like her son.

Jessica has a lot of information that she is going to share that is backed by scientific studies and evidence based medicine. She also referred me to her friend, Ronda Rufsvold. She is graduating with her PhD in sensory impairment from the Teachers College at Columbia University. She is a teacher in the front lines teaching children with hearing aids and cochlear implants and it will be very interesting to hear her perspective.

Jessica's son, Miller was aided at 11 weeks of age and when his hearing impairment progressed to a profound hearing loss they implanted him at age 4. Jessica sent me a link to a video of her son Miller answering her on a few questions. In the video there is some background noise but Miller was still able to  hear his mother's voice clearly. It's a very sweet and encouraging video, I'm happy to share it with you.

http://sakowitz.com/miller-interview

Some questions I plan on asking Jessica and her son are as follows:

For Jessica:
1. As a parent do you get a lot of negative or positive attention when talking about implanting your son?
2. Were you concerned about his age when you implanted him at 4 years old?
3. When you enrolled him in the school with other children that have hearing losses and cochlear implants did you see him thrive at school?
4. Do you talk to your son about the options or does he only know the world as one with a cochlear implant?

For Miller:
1. Do you have a lot of friends with cochlear implants?
2. Do you like your cochlear implant?
3. Can you remember when you couldn't hear as well?
4. Are you happy that you can hear with your cochlear implant?

I'm hoping that these questions will clear up any misconceptions people have about children and cochlear implants. Miller seems to be very aware according to his mother and is very open to sharing his emotions and opinions. 
The other field research I am working on is with an elderly woman who was implanted much later in life. She is going to be interviewed by a friend of mine in person and then they will send me her responses via e-mail. I am still waiting to hear back from them but I am super excited to share her perspective soon! 

Bianca E. Stevens

No comments:

Post a Comment